4 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Insurance Claim
Photo Courtesy of Pixabay.com
When your home or property is damaged, it can feel like a huge disaster. With weather becoming more severe every year, it’s just a matter of time before you may have to make a claim. Just the thought of dealing with your insurance company can be stressful.
No one looks forward to dealing with an insurance claim to get the fair compensation that they need and deserve. As a homeowner, the responsibility is on you to prove your claim. This means that your actions during the process of making a claim will determine how large your payout will be.
There are a few things – including hiring your own professional adjuster from TSO Adjustment Service – that will help you get the most out of your claim. Let’s go through a few steps that you should take to maximize your home insurance claim.
Expect a Low Offer
Even insurance companies that spend millions of dollars in advertising campaigns selling their honest services can be your worst enemy. It’s important to remember that the ultimate goal of your insurance broker is to pay out the minimal amount for your claim. Every year, thousands of people are taken advantage of by their insurance companies and don’t get the compensation that they deserve. You should expect to receive a low offer and be prepared to prove your case.
Knowledge Is Power
Your most powerful weapon when dealing with your insurance company is knowledge. If you aren’t familiar with the terms of your coverage and the process for your claim you could be in trouble. For the best possible success with your claim ensure that you are prepared.
- Know all the details of your policy coverage
- Document everything on paper and in photographs
- Follow the claims process exactly
- Provide every necessary document in a timely manner; don’t miss any deadlines
- Be prepared to negotiate for the best compensation
The insurance claim process can be long and complex. If you are representing yourself, it’s important to understand that persistence is the key to success. The claims process will follow certain steps that should be followed.
- Fast notification of damage to your insurance broker
- Take steps to prevent further damage to your property
- Provide open access to your insurance company to make their assessment
- Evaluate your damages and fill out your Proof of Loss documentation accurately
- Get comparative bids for all contractor work that will be necessary
- Keep copies of all receipts, estimates and service contracts
Dealing with your insurance company can be an intimidating and complicated process. If you aren’t comfortable with the process and are concerned about getting the right settlement, you may want to bring in help. Working with a private adjuster can help you document your losses independently and help you make your case. A private adjuster will work as your advocate to ensure that you aren’t taken advantage of by an experienced insurance company.
Navigating a homeowners insurance claim for damage to your home can be a stressful experience. If you know the facts, are dedicated to standing strong and making your case, and get the advice that you need from the professionals, you can get the payout that you deserve.